For compatibility with most playback devices, MPEG4-formatted files are recommended. Specifically, you’ll want to choose an MP4 container with the H.264 video codec and AAC audio codec. There are many variations of MPEG4 files, so ask us if you have any format questions.
Creating MPEG4 video content
Once you have captured and/or edited your video, export it using the following settings:
File Format: MP4
Video Format: H.264 Baseline
Audio Format: AAC
Total Bitrate: 350kbps – 1Mb/s
Video Size: 640x480 up to 1280x720
Once your files are in the proper format, upload them to your “wwwdm” folder on webserver. Test the playback of the file with the example player (insert URL).
Creating your own SWF file
First test your video by playing it in the example player. If you need more capabilities than the example player offers, you can create customized Flash presentations to integrate with your website with Adobe’s Create Suite. Here are the simple instructions for including Flash streaming videos in your presentation with Adobe Flash CS6 Professional:
- Create a new Flash document (Action Script 3 recommended)
- Choose "File", then "Import", then "Import video"
- Choose "Already deployed to a web server"
- For H.264/AAC MPEG4 files, enter the streaming URL as follows: rtmp://flashstream.indiana.edu/ip/media/mp4:accountname/video.mp4 (replace "accountname" with your webserve.iu.edu account name and "video.mp4" with your flash video file name). For older FLV files, enter the streaming URL as follows: rtmp://flashstream.indiana.edu/ip/media/flv:accountname/video.flv (replace "accountname" with your webserve.iu.edu account name and "video.flv" with your video file name).
- Choose “Control”, “Test Movie” to test your presentation.
- Choose “Publish” and choose "Finish" to complete your Flash Presentation.
- Place your ".swf" file and accompanying web files in your "www" or "wwws" folder on webserve.iu.edu.